Ages 7- 12
We encourage peaceful outcomes whenever possible. If confrontation and violence is unavoidable, we teach proven modern self defense skills to defend themselves. Kids Self Defense teaches controlled and preventative self defense. We are teaching kids self defense against bullies.
What You'll Learn in the Kids Self Defense Program
- Modern Martial Arts self defense system
- Modern self defense techniques and skills
Benefits of Kids Self Defense
- Confidence, self esteem, and inner strength
- Agility, balance and coordination
- Life skills and values
- Focus and attention
- Self discipline and self control
- Fitness and improved health
- Peace and Respect for others
- Bullying Defense
- Strength and endurance
- Mental and physical toughness...(even the kind soft spirits become stronger and enjoy it)
- How to handle confrontation
- Steering clear from negative peer pressure
Positive vs. Negative Correction
Above all else, the teaching methodology used in the Battle School program is unlike anything else in the modern martial arts community. Not only are all the entry-level techniques presented in the form of "combatives games" so that kids are highly enthused about learning them, but we use "positive teaching" rather than "punishment." When a child makes a mistake, we don't focus on the error, instead, we emphasize the correctly executed aspects of the move. Through this carefully layered positive reinforcement, we help the kids reach their full potential without jeopardizing their love for the art.
The answer is simple – teach the victims to defend themselves against physical attack and the rest will follow. Children's inability to stand up to a bully is rooted in profound fear for their personal safety. Ironically, the victims know that they must confront the bully and would like nothing more than to stand up to them. Studies suggest that bullying may be the leading cause of low self-esteem in children. According to some surveys, less than 15% of kids actually report acts of bullying. They simply can't follow through for fear of the physical harm that backs the bully's every action. Therein lies the challenge – how do you instill in a victim of bullying with the confidence to face the aggressor, look them in the eye, and back them down?
COMBATING HEAT WITH COLD
Most martial arts programs rely on striking the attacker with violent punches, kicks, knees, and elbows; while we do teach those techniques, we like to take a different approach. All the techniques can be purely defensive. If attacked, we offer techniques to non-violently neutralize the threat and gain control until help arrives. In the Battle School program, we teach the children how to remain calm under pressure so that you never have to worry about your child becoming a bully under our guidance.
The Battle School program prepares your child using a three-point approach:
- Total Responsibility: We prepare your child to deal with bullies without turning them into one. We emphasize discipline, responsibility, and respect throughout the course, and teach“Rules of Engagement” to ensure they never abuse their power.
- Increased Awareness: Harassment comes in many forms. Sometimes, a victim doesn’t take a stand because they can’t differentiate between “joking” and “bullying.” We teach your child to differentiate between harmless play and harmful harassment so they know precisely when and how to act in each circumstance.
- Amazing Confidence: We arm your child with the tools needed to overcome physical, verbal, and psychological harassment, so they are so confident in themselves that no bully will try to harass them. A confident child is a successful child. Bullies seek “easy targets” – those who will tolerate abuse.
THE RULES OF SELF DEFENSE
Teaching a child martial arts without teaching them when to use it, is akin to giving someone a gun without teaching them how to use it. Battle School is the only Kids Self Defense program that actually teaches children precisely when they can, and cannot use the techniques they are learning. The "Rules of Engagement" are regularly rehearsed in class so that children will never abuse their power and, equally important, they will not hesitate to take a stand when abused by bullies.
Rule 1: Avoid the fight. Be assertive.
Rule 2: If physically attacked, defend yourself.
Rule 3: If verbally attacked, follow the Three T-steps (talk, tell, Tackle).
Rule 4: We recommend that we never punch or kick the bully, although we know how, it is far better to establish control and negotiate.
Rule 5: When applying submissions use minimal force and negotiate.
Although we discuss the Rules of Engagement in classes, we strongly encourage you to discuss the Rules at home to assure your child that they have your support in the event that they need to take a stand against bullying.